LED Strip lights are becoming a popular option for lighting hard-to-reach places such as furniture corners, shelves, and sink rims.
This exceptionally customizable and versatile light is also known for its longevity. In this article, we’ll reveal the answer to the question, “how long do LED strip lights last?”
What are LED Strip Lights?
LED Strip Lights, also called LED Tape Lights, are a group of tiny LED emitters soldered on a flexible circuit board. These linear lights are packed as a roll, usually 5 meters or 16 feet long.
You can cut these strips to any desired length and mount them on a clean and dry surface using the double-adhesive found at the back of the circuit board.
Where Can I Use LED Strip Lights?
LED Strips Lights are sold in various colors (kelvin) and brightness (lumens), so you can use them in hundreds of places and applications.
They are also available in multiple color-changing options. You can create attractive and practical lighting even in tight and hard-to-reach spaces.
Here are some of the uses of LED Strip Lights.
- Cabinet and Shelving
- Bathroom Accents
- Kitchen Cove Lighting
- Outdoor Accents
- Patio and Gazebo Lighting
- Walkways and Handrails
- Restaurants and Bars
- Art Displays
- Hotel and Hospitality
- Storefront Displays
- Retail Product Displays
- Art Displays
- Stage Design
- Signages and Building Outlines
Top 3 Reasons to Choose LED Strip Lights
Among the hundreds of available lighting options in the market today, LED Strip Lights are quickly gaining popularity among DIY enthusiasts, interior designers, and contractors. Here are why these lights are an excellent choice for your home or business.
- LED strip lights last for a very long time: Generally, LEDs are known for their incredibly long expected lifespan compared to other kinds of light, such as fluorescent and incandescent. They will still burn bright even after their counterparts have long expired. We will discuss the LED Strip light’s longevity later in this article.
- LED strip lights are energy efficient: Compared to other lighting forms, LEDs are more energy-efficient. They require only about 10% of the power consumed by an equally bright traditional bulb. This level of energy efficiency can result in significant savings and a quick return on your investment.
- LED strip lights are convenient to use: As mentioned earlier, LED Strip Lights come with a double-sided adhesive, so installing them is pretty straightforward. You won’t need hooks or special tools to keep them in place.
How Long Do LED Strips Last?
LED Strip Lights last for about six years or 50,000 hours. This lifespan is only an average calculation of the manufacturer. Some factors can affect how long your strip lights will last.
These factors include frequency of use, exposure to heat, and the amount of current used to operate the light. For example, if the LED strip lights are exposed to intense heat or outdoor elements, their lifespan may shorten to two years.
On the other hand, strip lights that are rarely used and kept in a cool room can last longer than indicated.
It is important to note that LED lights will go through luminous decay near the manufacturer-indicated lifespan. It means that the light will become dimmer than when it started.
What Affects the Lifespan of LED Strip Lights?
● Exposure to Intense Intense Heat
Most LED strip lights are made for places ranging from 65 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This range is commonly for indoor areas; however, you can still use them in your shed, garage, or garden. Most of these light strips function best in less than 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
The semiconducting element’s temperature within the LED light bulb increases when they are exposed to intense heat. On the other hand, extreme cold does not shorten the LED’s lifespan.
Cool temperatures help maintain the semiconducting element at an ideal temperature which prolongs the life of the LED. It makes LED Strip Lights an excellent option for colder climates.
● Running on Currents Higher than Intended
LED lights, just like any electrical device, operate on a specific electrical current that dictates the rate of electricity that is allowed to flow in the circuit. When the energy that flows in the circuit is low, then the LED light cannot illuminate as bright as it should.
Please keep in mind that an LED light will shine brighter than it’s supposed to when the current is too high because the lights will use up all the energy that the circuit receives. The LED circuit will overheat and eventually burn out sooner than expected when this happens.
Why Do My LED Strip Lights Flicker?
It is pretty annoying and distracting when LED strip lights flicker. Not only does it take away the beauty of the decor, but it is also hard on the eyes. Why does this happen? Here are the reasons:
Failing Power Supply
Installing your LED Strip lights in a sweltering place will cause them to overheat. Ignoring the mounting restrictions will eventually destroy your power supply.
A failing power supply will make your LED strip lights flicker. Placing your lights away from harsh conditions will make it last longer.
An Overloaded Circuit
When an LED strip power supply is overloaded, it signals the unit to stop getting energy. It then shuts down and turns on again abruptly to allow more electricity to pass through.
This process will keep on repeating, causing the strip lights to flicker. The flickering will only stop if you reduce the wattage that flows through the circuit.
It will help to check the specifications found in the LED strip light packaging or the power supply to ensure that the output and input requirement is appropriate for your installation.
A short circuit or an electrical short happens when a low-resistance path that’s not suited to carry current receives a high-volume current. It can cause flickering, damage to the strips, or worse, burnt wires that may lead to fires.
Most LED strip lights come with an electrical short protector; however, it can be a problem when it malfunctions.
If your LED strip lights start to flicker, it would be best to attend to them immediately. It is a sign that one of the components is not working correctly. Turn off the unit and check for the possible reasons to find the best and safest solution.
Sometimes, your LED strip lights flicker because the cables connecting the lights to the power supply are poorly connected. It hinders the current flow through the whole circuit while the unit runs.
To prevent this from happening, check if the cables are securely connected to the power supply.
How to Prolong Your LED Strip Light’s Lifespan
LED strip lights have become popular due to their longevity; however, some factors affect their lifespan. The following are ways to ensure that your lights reach their maximum lifespan while performing their peak.
- Avoid placing your strip lights near heat sources such as fireplaces or under direct sunlight. Exposure to intense heat is a common reason for the shortened lifespan of these fixtures.
- If you’re going to place your strip lights outdoors, ensure that they will not get crushed by overgrown plants or bushes. Make sure to trim your foliage regularly to ensure the proper functioning of your strip lights.
- Clean your strip lights regularly to prevent dust and dirt from hampering the function of your unit. These elements can cause damage, thus, shortening the lifespan of your lighting fixture. If your strip lights are located outdoors, it would be best to check them regularly for cobwebs, mud, leaves, or even insects. Once you see any of these elements, get rid of them at once to ensure your strip lights will reach their maximum lifespan.
- If you notice that your lights start to get dim or flicker, turn them off immediately and ask an electrician to check them. Don’t let the issues persist since they might damage your unit even before the manufacturer-indicated life span. Repairing the damage before it gets worse will make your unit last longer.
- Turning off the strip lights when not in use extends their lifespan. It would be best to turn off your indoor lights when no one is using them or shut down your outdoor lights in the morning. Remember that the minutes wasted will be deducted from the total life of the LED strip lights.
- Make sure that you are using the prescribed wattage. It is a wise move to check the package for the specified wattage and adequate usage of your strip lights. You could call the manufacturer’s customer service hotline for guidance when in doubt.
LED strip lights are a pretty straightforward way to decorate your home. Not only are they energy-efficient, but they also last for very long.
Now that we’ve answered the question “how long do LED strip lights last?” it’s time to focus on how to reach its maximum lifespan with proper care and maintenance.